Whether you run a restaurant, catering service, retail store, or have a commercial refrigerator to keep perishable foods or beverages fresh at school, regular maintenance is key. At Schomburg Heating & Cooling, we know the importance of smooth operation for Kansas City businesses. When your commercial refrigerator malfunctions, it can cost you substantially – not only in terms of food loss, but customers as well if you have to close down your restaurant or catering service because your refrigerators are “on the blink.”
We have a few simple tips for maintaining your commercial refrigerator between maintenance visits, so that you can keep your equipment running smoothly and potentially prevent costly repairs.
- Inspect the door gaskets on freezers or coolers for any tears or rips
- Inspect hinges and automatic door closers on your equipment to ensure proper functioning
- Check your ice machines for signs that mold or slime have built up. Remove the cover to inspect these machines, and call a service technician if you find signs of mold/slime
- Inspect the condenser coils on freezers, coolers, and ice machines. These condenser coils are air-cooled, and are located on the exterior of your units. If you find dirt/dust or other debris, remove by gently brushing so as not to damage the aluminum fins
- Check condensate drains to make sure the lines are clear. If the line is restricted, you can use a straw wrapped with a damp cloth on the end that will be inserted into the drain to remove any debris. Hold the straw firmly, and blow air through and up into the drain. In addition, condensate drains should be blown out by your refrigeration technician a couple of times each year.
Taking these steps will help ensure your refrigeration, cooling, and other equipment is in good shape, and help you spot potential problems that may need to be addressed by our Kansas City commercial refrigeration technicians. Other than these simple tips, have routine maintenance performed twice each year by a professional. Your maintenance plan should include:
- Monitoring of temperature and cycling
- Refrigerant level inspection
- Inspection of door hinges and closers
- Inspection of electrical connections including compressor and wiring
- Inspection of thermometers, insulation, and door gaskets
- Pressure cleaning of drain lines and condenser coils
- Running of an acid descale solution through water circuit
- Oil bearings or motors when oil ports are present
- Detailed list of any issues found in need of repair
- Detailed report on each separate unit including serial number, make, model, and temperature
We understand how vital it is to keep your walk-in coolers, freezers, and ice machines operating properly and efficiently. Not only can you enjoy peace of mind, proper maintenance can increase the lifespan of your equipment, and decrease the consumption of electricity, meaning lower energy bills.
Have questions about our commercial refrigeration services, or need maintenance performed? Give Schomburg a call today. We service all areas in and around Kansas City including Platte City, Weston, Dearborn, St. Joseph, Smithville, and Camden Point.